Author: Jessica Xavier
- 2 lbs honeycomb tripe, rinsed and leave whole
- 3 - 4 slices ginger
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 - 13 oz. package hot or mild linguica (2 links, cut in ¼" rounds)
- 1 onion, diced
- 8 - 9 garlic cloves, minced (about 1 tbsp)
- 4 - 6 bay leaves
- 1 - 6 oz. can tomato paste
- 1 - 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes (or 1 lb fresh diced tomatoes)
- 1 quart beef or chicken broth
- 1 - 15.5 oz. can garbanzo beans
- 1 - 6 oz. can whole olives
- Optional additions: potatoes and/or carrots, peeled and cut in small pieces
- Put tripe, ginger and water in a medium pot. Bring to a boil and drain water and rinse. Add more water and bring to boil again. Boil over medium high heat until the tripe is soft (about 1 hr). Rinse and cool tripe. Cut into bite size pieces (about 1" x 2.5" strips).
- In large pot, brown linguica with olive oil. Take out linguica and set aside.
- In same pot, add onions, garlic and bay leaves and saute over medium heat until onions are caramelized (about 5-6 mins). Add additional olive oil, if needed.
- Add tomatoes and saute for additional 3-5 mins.
- Add tomato paste and 3 cups of broth cut tripe. Bring to boil and simmer over medium heat for 30-45 mins. Add additional broth or water as liquid boils down and concentrates, if needed and to desired consistency.