Cheese Toast (Ken Harper's)
Utensils: Cheese shredder or food processor, mixing bowl, measuring cup & spoons, spreading knife, basting brush, baking trays, parchment paper.
Author: Ken Harper
- 1 Loaf Stale Bread, crusts removed, cut in triangles (leave bread over night to dry out *)
- CHEESE SPREAD MIXTURE (room temperature):
- 1 lb of finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese ⅓ cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons dry mustard (e.g., Coleman’s) 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoon butter
- Egg wash
- 2 eggs beaten
- In a food processor or in a mixing bowl by hand, blend all Cheese spread ingredients together until everything is a smooth paste and mostly uniform in color.
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Spread the cheese mixture on bread triangles mounding the spread in the middle and tapering the spread on the sides.
- Generously brush each prepared triangle with egg wash and then place on parchment paper lined baking trays.
- Bake for 15-25 minutes till golden brown or your desired doneness.
*If you do not have time to dry out the bread a day ahead, you can take a fresh loaf, remove the crusts and slice it in triangles and place the slices on a baki ng tray to dry in a 400-degree oven. Turn off the fire once you place the bread in the oven and let the bread dry out for an hour.